Saturday, June 12, 2010

Day 2 (Saturday) Pictures

Today I woke up and my host father Jindo and I took the ragged dog on a walk down to the gas station to buy a coke and egg sandwich for lunch. The house (pictured below) is surround by rice fields as well as greenhouses with watermelon inside



After a shower and breakfast Jindo took me to meet Mr. Kawai (my current/last host) who is a board of education member and Mr. Hanai who is the director of the board of education. Along with two educators from Princeton Indiana (also a kind of sister city to Tahara), Mr. Kawai and Mr. Hanai took us on a ferry boat to another province in Japan to see a famous shrine. Here is a view of the ferry:


Here is a view of a lighthouse on the ferry ride:


After getting off of the ferry we went on a scenic drive to an overlook of the province, we had some beautiful views:



At the top of the overlook we had a snack of coke...and a hashbrown, not normal but enjoyable, the potato cake reminded me of something I ate in Colombia..


After traveling to the top of the overlook we then went ahead to the most sacred (not scared) shrine in all of Japan, before walking up to the shrine we had to wash our hands...then was the pole we washed our hands with..I dont ask questions, just do as I am told...



Here is a picture of the shrine..at the top we threw money in a white box, bowed two times, clapped twice, than bowed again...odd...I think this is some type of pyramid scheme...or a cult :)


keep on bloggin....

No comments: