Thursday, April 12, 2007

Aw Boon Basketball Camp





This morning Dale and I rolled out of bed and headed directly for the basketball court before 8:00. We set out for a 45 minute trip to the Aw Boon Secondary School for a English speaking basketball camp. At the camp there were around thirty campers and the instructor Mono was from Canada. Mano played for the University of Waterloo and then some for Athletes in Action but now he tours the world giving motivational speaches and conducing basketball camps, he also runs his company The Point Guard Academy (www.pointguardacademy.com) and makes a couple of stops around the US each summer. This was the first day of a three day long camp and I have to say I was impressed with the skill of some of the athletes at the camp....but trust me none could even play on the same court with our girl Allie! Dale and myself stayed at the basketball camp until about noon when we got on the bus to come home dropping the kids off at aia amusement park (a kind of like big time county fair), if those kids ride some of those rides they are braver than I will ever be. Looks like tonight will be going out with Silva and Stephen for a dinner in Hong Kong and tomorrow is full of two school visits and then the closing ceremonies back at Aw Boon tomorrow night.....it seems like this week has flown by! I really enjoyed watching the Hong Kong kids at basketball camp and I was glad to see that the school brought in a top notch camp leader, I even learned some new drills for the boys of SCMS! I hope that all is well back in the County, I think we are all seeing the finish line as our trip comes to a close, no one is looking forward to the flight home or the jet lag that will follow. The kids have done a great job this week, this has been a great experience for all. Take Care-DTW

The kids before we left for AIA, Tyler has got his classic pose!



A picture of Deanna and the all time winningist coach in Scott County Basketball History.

I guess alot of people could watch the basketball game and you would never know....this is a great pic!


Allie and Mano the basketball camp instructor (she probably could not take him off the dribble).


Allie hooping it up with the Hong Kong Ballplayers.

Moves off the dribble Hong Kong style!

Allie and Mano talking hoops during a break, you can look in the background and see another school's basketball court and how close it is, I guess when they play they just open up the gates!

Allie and the best male 7th Grade Social Studies teacher at SCMS!

Allie, Deanna, and Nicole were getting ready for their trip to AIA.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Allie show em up? She should have been one of the best shooters there!

ck

Anonymous said...

Hope you got some coaching tips or new plays, that we will actually run, while you were there. The only team in the state with 300 plays and running 3. See you soon.

The Captain

Anonymous said...

This makes me laugh. I remember when I was little and used to ride the little ponies. Childhood memories, gotta love 'em!