Saturday, April 7, 2007

What a morning in the Monastery!



Today, Saturday, started off a little bit different than any other morning I have ever experienced! Lets just say sleep was not obtained last night! I stayed up with principals and teachers of Aw Boon Secondary School and talked most of the night...the other part of the night was taken up by some of those same educators that were snoring (dad you are not the only one that can rattle walls!). I woke up (a couple of times) at around 4:00 to some noise and went to use the facilites (detached from the place we stayed) very loudly coming from the woods I could clearly hear the monks chanting....a morning ritual that they do (not sure if it is before or after breakfest but it is defenately before sun rise) sitting by myself in the woods and hearing this noise (yes it was kind of like the noise the monks made the the Jim Carrey Movie) it was something that I will never forget and I did not make it back to bed after that. After waking we had breakfest at the same place we had dinner the night before, the tea garden resturant, i have to admit this was some of the best food i have had since we left good ol' KY. After eating we met Mr. Stowe and Mr. Staker down in front of the big Buddha. The picture above is the Famous Buddha statue that we visited today, you could see this from where we stayed! This statue is placed on a huge hill and has about 263 steps leading up to it (of which were counted by tyler, nicole, and barber...twice). This statue is 34 meters high and took over 10 years to complete, this buddha transformed a the usually quite Po Lin Monastery into a must visit tourist attraction!-DTW

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello D.T. , I'm so glad that like the food. We went to see the Monkey's movie with all the HK students & US students in the village. After that, we took the skyrail back to the city of Lan Tau Island. The host family took all of the US students home and they will go out for dinner later, I guess. Nicole's host family phoned me a few minute ago and invited me to have Jappaness food tonight. I'll tell you how is the food.
Ah ! You haven't mentioned the camp to your students in US yet. Tell them how great the US & HK students in the camp were.
By the way, can I post some pictures on your blog?
Stephen

Mr. Daniel-Taylor Wells said...

Stephen,

I totally left out about the camp, I posted more about it in the post below along with some pictures. If you have some pictures for my post I believe that I will have to post them on my blog, just make a CD of the pics you want me to post, it will be no problem! Thanks for all of your hospitality, you are making this experience one that we will not soon forget!-DTW

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you got some good exersise going up to see the statue. Building it must have been extremely hard! But, the work payed off, that is a beautiful statue. Sounds like your having major culture shock! I'm glad you got the chance of a life time! I'm also glad you got some good food! lol!!!!

Amanda 2nd hour

Anonymous said...

hmm it sounds like me and tyler and and zach and brooks wernt the only ones that didnt sleep....yeah and by the way it was 268..beacause we asked the lady that works there and she said we were rong but we we not about to go climb all those stairs again.